Veterans Affairs: Getting Started at MSU

Eligibility for veteran and dependent education benefits is determined by the US Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA). The MSU Veteran Affairs Office can help you complete forms and can certify you to the DVA so you can receive benefits.

A student must be admitted to MSU and registered for courses in a degree-seeking program in order to be certified for veteran's and dependent education benefits.

Each semester after registration, students eligible for benefits must complete the Certification Request Form (PDF), which can be viewed/downloaded on the right under Files. Students receiving any chapter of benefit, other than Post 9/11 GI Bill, will also need to complete the Statement of Understanding (SOU). Post 9/11 GI Bill recipients will need to complete the Post 9/11 Statement of Understanding (Post 9/11 - SOU). Both of these forms are MSU forms and not VA forms. A student will be certified during a semester only after he or she completes the above documents. Generally, it takes the MSU VA office up to a week to submit a certification to the Department of Veterans Affairs. It takes the Department of Veterans Affairs 9 to 12 weeks to process that certification.

Eligible veterans, service members, and dependents will need to follow the checklist for the chapter for which they are going to be receiving benefits to ensure timely payment of benefits.

For Benefits Checklists and Welcome Packet Information, please visit the "Getting Started at MSU" website by clicking here.

Print Article


Article ID: 93136
Fri 11/22/19 8:55 AM
Wed 7/15/20 9:48 AM